Previous Message
Next Message

Does anyone know the diference?

Sent by Felix Miata on 26 March 2006 03:03

On 06/03/25 19:26 Jay Tanna apparently typed:

> Does anyone know the difference between the following two units of 
> measurements:

> 3em

A relative length:
On a computer screen, this will always be the larger of the two.

> 3pt

An absolute length:

> This is normally used in setting margins.  I just want to know which is 
> bigger and is there a simple relation like converting from inches to 
> centimetres etc etc.

You can convert between em and pt only when you know the size of an em.
To get a feel for the meaning of these on a computer screen you might
want to play around here:

Note that on a computer screen, absolute lengths generally only
approximate reality. In those rare instances the system DPI matches the
device DPI then they are accurate. See:

For print styles, go with pt.
"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according
to the law of the Lord."	        	Psalm 119:11 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***
css-discuss [EMAIL-REMOVED]]
IE7b2 testing hub --
List wiki/FAQ --
Supported by --
Previous Message
Next Message

Message thread: